No such thing as too much wool

Wool ramblings, spinning, dyeing and knitting

Monday, June 19, 2006

Hackers United

Well one thing can now be crossed off my to-do list – I’ve finally finished hacking the whole of the buddleia down. For a shrub it had grown to immense proportions – woody enough to need a saw for the last stems. It’s filled 6 green bags (thank goodness the council collects garden rubbish free) and probably taken as many weeks in total as I cut it into very small pieces. I am trying to reclaim my garden. As I can’t see most of it from the house it generally doesn’t bother me that it looks derelict.

No pictures as that involves going downstairs, but the sample of Rowan big wool has now been knitted into a shoulder bag with big cables. I still need to sew it up so technically it is not yet finished. The only other knitting straps I’ve ever made have been I-cord/French knitted ones which have been felted. Generally I think knitted straps in garter or stocking stitch are not practical as if you put any weight in the bag they will stretch the bag to your knees. But I have made these by doing double knitting, ie knitting a tube on two needles by slip stitching every other stitch purl wise. It still stretches but will hopefully be strong enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home