No such thing as too much wool

Wool ramblings, spinning, dyeing and knitting

Friday, August 11, 2006

Did I mention my other stash?

On my weekly call to my parents to find out they have not done much all week, I mentioned that I had started sewing a knitting needle case for my circulars. Mum seemed surprised that I have a fabric stash in addition to the yarn stash. As she is the one who saved every single scrap of fabric from clothes making when we were kids and could not bring herself to throw anything away (she blames the WWII mentality) I found this startling. Thankfully she also taught me to sew and had a stack of knitting needles and yarn for me to play with once I learned to knit from a schoolmate aged about seven.



So yes I have a fabric stash which is less likely to be all used up than the yarn. Much of it is dull, but for this bag I chose some leopard skin blue fleece fabric. It talked to me at the NEC some years ago. Anyway, lined with different blue cloth, and some linen dyed with indigo by me at some point, I now have a home for all my circulars. There are 28 in this, but this isn’t the complete collection as some are in use, and there is also space for a gauge ruler so there will be no excuse to file the needles in the wrong pocket. The pattern is inspired by Grumperina’s. I felt rather chuffed with it and have very good intentions of making a holder for all my DPNs. That will first entail gathering up all my DPNs from the wild.

New on the needles this week is a red balaclava helmet. Heaven knows how old the pattern is but my guess is 1950s. Nephew put a request in for this after I’d sent his mother and sister knitted presents. He is currently obsessed with Spiderman and luckily for me the superhero made his own mask originally without any black web markings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home