No such thing as too much wool

Wool ramblings, spinning, dyeing and knitting

Sunday, September 03, 2006

Gardening

Yesterday was the Gardener’s Weekend in Birmingham, a veritable orgy of gardening stuff for sale and displays of silly looking dahlias and such. This is my annual chance to buy lots of plants, as quite frankly I am not a gardener. I made a beeline for the Hardy Plant Society and impressed them by bringing out my own carriers to fill with a variety of plants for a mere £1 each. And after them I went to the Cottage Plant Society stall, which was a little more expensive but still had a wide range, and another two bags were filled. The weather was miserable, so unlike previous years when I have sat on the grass listening to a live trad jazz band, this time I stood under a tree to eat lunch and listen and moved on much quicker. I only briefly went round the rest of the show, as it was only more plants for sale and I physically couldn’t carry anything else (some were in my rucksack as it was), so I caught the bus home.

I started a conversation with the women who sat next to me while I was knitting a hiking sock. She said her knitting was too complicated for travelling, and when I asked her what it was, she pulled out a photo from her purse of a patchwork knitted blanket in progress. Beats photos of the grandkids. I have not yet reached that stage but I shall have to think about aspiring to it.

The 16 plants got dug in today and the plan of the garden updated. Yes I have a plan (to scale) with all the plants I’ve ever planted. A large number seem to have died. I continue to blame the rats.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home