No such thing as too much wool

Wool ramblings, spinning, dyeing and knitting

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The best laid plans of mice and men

Well it’s less than a month now until this year’s Guild competition and the tweed effect bag I had started to spin for is not going to happen. I gathered some of the yarns together a while ago and they were such different thicknesses that 2 or 3 colour knitting of the design I was planning for would not have worked. So Plan B was put in place and is now waiting to be fulled next time I use the washing machine. To confuse my fellow Guild members it is sheep’s colour rather then dyed.

In a spurt of energy, I have also finished knitting the stripy scarf and it is currently blocking on the spare spare bed (there's a guest staying in the spare bed), as is half of dad’s blue jumper And today I hauled the grey ex-dad jumper out (well just lifted it off the back room floor actually), and completed all 4 pieces upto the armpits. I will definitely be making a jumper in the round next time. This week’s lesson is it is very bulky to do a man’s bottom–up raglan jumper when you knit the whole yoke together, esp when the wool is a very heavy weight. The usual lack of planning and foresight meant the lovely Gotland shearling fleeces I had acquired were spun into a very heavy worsted sort of Aran weight yarn. And there is also not enough. I have just started on the last ball and have only done a few rows of the yoke. Luckily I bought some more Gotland at Woolfest and am rapidly spinning some up (challenge 1 – speed, challenge 2 – getting it anything like the same thickness of yarn as the rest of the jumper). My knitting does not suffer tension variations even if I leave it for a year or two, but my spinning does. This could be because I’m not a scientific Mabel Ross follower, except when plying.

And today I bought a digital camera, so hopefully future pictures will be much truer to reality, once I have worked out how to use it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home