No such thing as too much wool

Wool ramblings, spinning, dyeing and knitting

Sunday, August 19, 2007

June

I was mainly knitting a pair of sleeves. No there was no jumper needed to attach them. The reason? - 16th century kirtles (dresses) do not have knitted sleeves attached. They should possibly have been tied on with points, but as I don’t have the requisite holes in the top of my kirtle, they were safety pinned on… Noone could see the safety pins as I was wearing a short sleeved gown over. The sleeves were widely admired, which is always gratifying and I found them more comfy than the cloth ones I have previously worn. In effect they’re like shaped socks only without the foot. There are no known contemporary pictures of knitted sleeves but they are widely mentioned in accounts, whether bought or sold or even stolen! The yarn is my handspun BFL dyed with madder root.


Well it appears to be the end of SP10 (I didn’t participate this time), but I never did receive a parcel from my SP9 spoiler or angel. Ah me.

Have been slowly putting things on Ravelry. My name is Jael if you want to look, but my photographic skills are almost non-existent and I don’t have a lovely garden in which to artistically display items!

Made it to the Birmingham knitters who gather at the Shakespeare on the last Tuesday of the month. We were a select group but it was a most enjoyable evening.

1 Comments:

  • At 5:56 pm, Blogger Heather said…

    The sleeves look great, and I like the look of the yarn in the background too :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home